Monday, August 25, 2008

It's All Trew: Selling water never a thought My chair upon which I have sat each morning at 7 a.m. for more than 20 years is located in the Crockett Travel Center in Alanreed. I sit beside a freezer holding sacks of ice. Just up the aisle, shelves of plastic jugs full of water are offered. To one side are coolers of cold drinks with plastic water bottles in prominent display. I would be afraid to estimate how many of the containers of water and bags of ice I have seen carried out in the last 20 years. It sure is different from the old days. The very thought that water could be sold never entered our minds when I was young. Water belonged to whoever needed it. All were welcome to pump a handle, visit the windmill or turn on a faucet. Every home had a water bucket sitting on the cabinet with a dipper inside. To refuse to drink from the family dipper was an insult to the owner. Grandma Trew even kept new No. 16 iron nails in her water bucket by the sink to put iron in your blood. Guess it worked as I have been accused of having lead in my rear many times....

No comments: