Saturday, August 16, 2008

L.J. "Curley" McCarey 1916-2008

My Uncle Curley passed away on August 14 at 92 years of age.

As I’ve written here before, it was Curley who taught me how to bulldog and it was Curley who convinced me to go back to college. So, if it wasn’t for Curley, I would have much better knees, but also no degrees and no career.

I have many fond memories of Curley, but will share two which I believe best describe him.

The first time I qualified for the USTRC finals in Guthrie, OK, Curley decided to fly up there to be with me. I picked him up at the hotel and we headed to the Lazy E. I pulled into their stall area and went in to get my stall. They said no stalls were available, and I would have to haul my horse back to OKC and stall him at the Fairgrounds. About that time Curley walked up, heard the discussion and then asked the gentlemen if “Cocky” Leblanc still shod horses for the Lazy E. Yes, they said, and asked “do you know Cocky?” Curley told a few stories about him and Cocky, and the next thing you know I had a stall at the Lazy E.

Many years before, when I was just a youngster, I spent the summer with Curley in Lecompton, Kansas. He took me with him to a PRCA (RCA in those days) rodeo in Kansas City, Mo. On the way I remember Curley slapped his hip and said “damn, I brought the Grand Junction check.” He had sold his place in Grand Junction and had the down payment check in his billfold.

After we got to the arena, I was excited when Curley introduced me to Monty Montana. Curley then pulled out his war bag. Curley’s ankle was sore and swollen, as Mike, his roping horse had clipped him on the ankle during a practice session. I couldn’t figure out how he could rope with that injury. Out of the war bag came an old pair of high top football shoes, with regular soles – no cleats. He laced them up tight and warmed up Mike.

When his name was called, Curley made a good run, fast enough to win the day money.

After the performance, several of the younger contestants came over and said, “Hey old man, how much did the day money pay?” Curley reached in his pocket and pulled out the Grand Junction check and handed it to them. “God-a mighty” they hollered as they stared at the amount of the check. Then Curley started laughing and showed them the day money check.

That was Curley McCarey. He loved horses, he loved rodeo and he loved having a good time.

And I loved him.

No comments: