Friday, November 14, 2008

Awards are not old hat for competitive Strait A glimpse into what makes George Strait a winner on a streak lasting almost three decades came to Randy Carroll the night before nominees for the 2008 Country Music Association Awards were announced. The KJ97 radio personality was visiting with Strait on Sept. 9 at the For the Love of Kids and Harleys benefit at Cowboys Dance Hall, where the country music star was guest auctioneer. “We were talking about the CMA nominations coming out the next day, and I asked him, ‘This is just old hat for you, isn’t it?’” Carroll said. “And he said, ‘Heck, no. I want to be nominated and I want to win. I’m very competitive.’” That helps explain why, in a career full of milestones, the San Antonio resident continues to score more. Strait collected four awards at the CMAs on Wednesday (as artist and co-producer on both album of the year “Troubador” and single of the year “I Saw God Today”), giving him a record-breaking 22 CMA awards over his career. “I Saw God Today” became Strait’s 56th No. 1 country hit in April, furthering his record of more No. 1 hits than any other solo artist in all music genres....

No comments: