Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Elko saddles up for 25th cowboy poetry gathering

During the last quarter-century, Waddie Mitchell has seen cowboy poetry turn from a novelty to a staple. When the first gathering was held in Elko in 1983, organizers had no idea how successful it would be. Mitchell, one of Elko County’s pre-eminent cowboy poets, said he wasn’t even sure the first event would come together. Getting ranchers off the ranch isn’t always easy. But during the slower time in January, it did happen, and, Mitchell said, “it’s changed my life completely.” “If someone told me 26 years ago I’d spend the last 20 years on the road entertaining and writing poetry for a living, I’d not only argue but I’d bet my saddle I wouldn’t.” Lucky for Mitchell, no one made that prediction. Now, the event will celebrate its 25th anniversary Jan. 24-31. Produced by the Western Folklife Center, the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering has grown to a week of events. Since the first gathering, the art, like Mitchell’s life, has changed....

No comments: