Thursday, April 16, 2009

Song Of The Day #018

Most everyone should be familiar with Johnny Horton, of I'm A One Woman Man, The Battle of New Orleans, North To Alaska, etc. fame. He was born in 1925 to a family of migrant fruit pickers and got most of his raising in East Texas. He got his start by winning a talent contest hosted by the then radio announcer Jim Reeves. He was killed in a car wreck in 1960.

I picked this song for today's selection because my dad got such a big kick out of it. He even liked it after he found out what a pirogue really was.

So here's Johnny Horton's 1956 recording of I Got A Hole In My Pirogue. It's available here as an mp3 download, and is available on several collections, including his 16 Biggest Hits.

Please enjoy while I sit back and remember dad's reaction to this song.

No comments: