Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Song Of The Day #133

Today's selection is Blue Ridge Mountain Blues by Bill Clifton & His Dixie Pals.

This tune was on one of the first bluegrass LPs I owned. I got into bluegrass because bluegrass LPs were only 99 cents, whereas regular country LPs were $2.99. So it was bluegrass for me. I'm thankful that those albums were so cheap, or that I was so broke, because I became a real fan of the music.

This particular song was cut in March of 1958 in Nashville at the RCA studio. It's available on the 18 track CD Bill Clifton - The Early Years (1957-1958). And look who was backing him up: In addition to Clifton on guitar and lead vocals, there was Ralph Stanley [banjo], Benny Martin [fiddle], Tommy Jackson [fiddle], Curley Lambert [mandolin, tenor vocals], John Duffey [dobro, mandolin, high baritone vocals], and Junior Huskey [bass]. Bluegrass and country fans will have no problem recognizing those names.

Give it a listen and turn that volume up so all your neighbors can enjoy it too.

No comments: