Thursday, December 10, 2009

Bob Jones

Bob Jones
December 10, 2009

My friend and mentor Bob Jones died today. This hit hard for me. I regret now that I never told Bob directly but I said it more than once to Bobby; along with my dad, Forrest Delk and my high school ag teacher, Dwight Houston, Bob Jones meant more to me than anyone will ever know. I can’t believe he is gone. I never imagined my world without Bob Jones out there watchin’ the gate.

If Bob taught me anything it was this: “never ever apologize for being right”. “When you’re standing out there knee-deep in the bullshit and smoke so thick you can’t see and they’re chunkin’ green grenades at you . . . .stand fast because the one thing you have that they don’t have is that you . . . .are right”.

Bob was a cowman’s cowman; a true cowboy. Our world is better today because Bob Jones did his part to make it better.

I think Bob loved God, Elizabeth, his family, his neighbors, his friends, rain, a good-lookin’ horse that’s good in the rocks, ridin’ flank on a bunch of cattle lined out toward the corrals, more rain, and fiddle music whenever he could get someone to play.

I imagine Bob and Charlie are together again and I would advise St. Peter to take a deep seat because things are liable to get western in heaven.

Diane and I already miss Bob and will always have and hold him in our hearts.

Joe Delk

No comments: