Monday, April 12, 2010

Baxter Black - Trade ya my mustache

As medical progress marches on, the use of transplants and body parts has become commonplace. Worldwide, from India to Italy, from Iran to Indiana, the surgeries are routine. According to The Wall Street Journal, the U.S. alone has 83,000 people on the waiting list for a kidney. Corneas, hearts, livers and lungs do a brisk trade on the organ market. I'm assuming that many athletes, models, yodelers, magicians and pickpockets insure their precious body parts against damage or loss; fingers, figures, vocal cords or knees. But what if the occasion arises that the body parts of someone whose skills you admire come available? How 'bout Ben Johnson, Ed Bruce or Johnny Cash's vocal cords? I remember when Willie Nelson sang, "All of me, Why not take all of me" maybe he was subliminally making an offer. At the risk of being morbid, my list might include Trevor Brazile's roping arm, Ronald Reagan's hair, Ray Hunt's seat in the saddle, Tony Rice's flat pickin' left hand, anybody's flat belly, Billy Etbauer's pointed toes, George Strait's teeth, Churchill's way with words and Doc Brimhall's eye for cattle. 'Course, I wouldn't have much to trade...more

No comments: