Friday, April 30, 2010

Song Of The Day #298

Ranch Radio today thanks Glenda Price for getting it right.

On my post Song Of The Day #295 I wrote the following:

Ranch Radio will bring you some "answer songs" this week. We'll start with two classics by Hank Thompson and Kitty Wells: The Wild Side Of Life and It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels.

I remember reading somewhere that this same melody went to #1 on the charts 4 times. The two offered here, The Great Speckled Bird by Roy Acuff and for the life of me I can't remember the fourth this morning. If you know, please email me.

Glenda Price knew, and emailed me the following:

Hi Frank,

Our band used to do this…we did snitches of all four songs.
This is “The Prisoner’s Song” (words by Bill Monroe)
Here is the last verse, the one we liked doing.

Now, if I had the wings of an angel,
Over these prison walls I would fly.
And I'd fly to the arms of my darling,
And there I'd be willing to die.


Glenda Price


Glenda is not just a music fan. She's also a columnist and writer who's done an excellent job covering the agriculture industry and the folks who produce our food and fiber. Readers should check out the collection of her columns in A Goat Tale and Other Stories Heard Around the Supper Table

Our two songs today go out especially for Glenda: Roy Acuff performing The Great Speckled Bird and Eddy Arnold singing The Prisoner's Song.


No comments: