Friday, May 28, 2010

Face of Fear at the Border

This is from the transcript of the Greta Van Sustern show:

GRIFF JENKINS, FOX CORRESPONDENT: This is the U.S.-Mexico border. This is the fence in Arizona. As you can see, it's very easy to get on there. There's trash on the other side. When you get over, you just climb down like this and you hop down. Welcome to America. And you walk out on John Ladd's ranch.

How many people are coming across in the last 10 years onto just your ranch, on this 10-mile southern border?

JOHN LADD, RANCHER
: Well, there are -- around half a million have been caught on this ranch since 1999.

JENKINS: A half a million?

LADD: A half a million. And if you figure one out of four is what they're catching, that's two million people.

My concern is for my wife, my mom and dad, my boys. You know, my personal self, I can't be looking over my shoulder the whole time I'm doing work on the ranch. And if somebody wants to get me, they're going to get me. But to have to have my wife lock the doors all the time, not be able to do anything when I'm not around, is ridiculous. My mom and dad are in their 80s. Why do I have to have them worry about leaving their house for more than a couple hours or a day without having somebody come babysit the house?

JENKINS: How many times have you been broken into?

LADD: Well, we've had seven, and one house has been broken into four times...

No comments: