Monday, July 19, 2010

A Food Czar? Really?

You may laugh about the White House assistant chef being appointed "Senior Policy Adviser." You'll stop laughing when you realize that those in power really do want to tell you what to eat. You just can't cook these things up. The 29-year-old Chicago chef that the Obama family for years paid to be their private cook, Sam Kass, was quietly promoted last month from his job as assistant chef at the White House residence and "food initiative coordinator" to the position of "senior policy adviser for healthy food initiatives." The long-suffering American people don't get to know if an increase in salary is involved, because Kass is on the residence staff rather than the West Wing's. But we should know how much the taxpayers are paying this "bald, intense young man" who, according to the New York Times, is "part chef and part policy wonk" and is "reinventing the role of official gastronome in the Executive Mansion." He plays golf with the president at Martha's Vineyard, attends the administration's child-health briefings, and quizzes senior White House staff about policy. Of course, it all begs the question: Why on earth do the American people need a government-paid "food initiative coordinator"? This administration has been attempting to elevate nutrition to the level of a civil rights issue...more

Well, I have my own Culinary Queen, otherwise known as my Burrito Babe, right here and she never tells me what to eat. I either eat what she fixes, or I don't eat.

However, I do agree food should be a "civil rights issue".

Starting today, I'm forming the National Association for the Advancement of Fatty Foods (NAAFF).

First, we need an anthem.

The highly-successful civil rights movement had We Shall Overcome, which went:

We shall overcome, we shall overcome,
We shall overcome someday;
Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe,
We shall overcome someday.

The anthem for NAAFF will be We Shall Overeat, which goes:

We shall overeat, we shall overeat,
We shall overeat each day;
O, deep in my gut, I do believe,
We shall overeat each day.

Of course we'll need to raise money, so I'm establishing the Fatty Foods Foundation.

Our first event will be a National March Against D.C. Salad Bars. Finally, a green movement I can support.

This is in it's infancy, so if you have comments or suggestions on the name of the org., the anthem, the foundation or future events, use the comments section or email me (flankcinch@hotmail.com).

Eat Free or Die.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Where do we sign up.

And, when are we going to get government money?

I am looking forward to researching various dishes at Los Cuates, Owl Bar, and El Portal.