Monday, September 27, 2010

Kelton's final book speaks with familiar voices

Elmer Kelton’s final book goes on sale Tuesday. “Texas Standoff” is the last chapter in the late writer’s Texas Rangers Series. It also marks the end of an era. For decades, Elmer gave us great books year after year, but this is his last. Elmer died a little more than a year ago at age 83, and no more unpublished manuscripts remain. I’m reading an advance copy of “Texas Standoff” and enjoying the journey. Like all of Elmer’s novels, it’s a good story, full of believable action, great characters and careful, honest descriptions of the old West. Always before, I’d race through a Kelton novel, caught up in the story, eager to see what happened next. This time, I’ve made myself slow down and enjoy the scenery. I’m barely a third of the way through the book, taking it easy, enjoying each sentence and page. Trying to make it last. Slowing down has helped me appreciate the wit and wisdom and words Elmer wove into his stories. He was a master of dialogue, making characters come alive through what they said...more

No comments: