Monday, December 13, 2010

From bovine to fine wine

For his third career, Clint Peck is making the ultimate jump from a cowboy and writer to winemaker. At least now he can consume his creations. Peck, a fourth-generation rancher whose great-grandfather moved to Montana in 1881 and started the town of Roy, north of Grass Range, has opened the first winery in Billings, at least in these times. On the advice of several local businessmen who told him to start with enough money and to stay focused, he “threw his shoulder into” creating the boutique Yellowstone Cellars & Winery. “I sold my house. I sold my cows,” Peck said. “I even sold my Harley.” With those from-the-heart funds and a U.S. Small Business Administration loan from Yellowstone Bank, Peck bought a half-acre on the old nightly rodeo grounds off Mullowney Lane, drew up rough building plans and started corralling the required federal, state and local licenses. He hired an architect to finalize his plans and then commissioned S Bar S Building Center to build his winery...more

I admire folks who follow their muse, like Peck, and I wish him success. But selling the cows and building on the old rodeo grounds, that pains me.

No comments: