Friday, November 18, 2011

The midnight ride of Coca-Cola cowboys

During the election cycle of 2008, campaign handlers for Montana’s governor broadcast a video clip showing him roping and flanking a calf. The campaign slots conveyed the image our governor was a regular Montana rancher. I rolled my eyes and banged my head on the table in disbelief every time the ad flashed across the screen. (It is one of the 27 reasons I disconnected my television.) I always wondered about the video footage left on the editing room floor, because if this was the best, the rest must have been hysterical. The action scenes that were beamed across the airwaves show the governor clothes-lining his horse across the ears with his rope and then jerking his slack with his rein hand. The horse, unaware this was only make believe, snaps his head up and bites the air — a pain response to the jerk on the bit. Although the scenes were comical to folks who know which end of the cow gets up first, to the untrained eye Montana’s governor was John Wayne. Whether this made the difference or not is unknown, but Montanans flocked to the polls and re-elected the governor. I guess that is politics...more

No comments: