Monday, January 09, 2012

2011 was driest year ever in Texas

The National Weather Service says Texas set the record in 2011 as the driest ever, and the second hottest. Last year, Texas suffered the worst single-year drought, its largest agricultural losses and the hottest summer in U.S. history. Texas averaged 86.8 degrees over the summer months, beating out Oklahoma's 85.2 degrees in 1934. The average 2011 rainfall was 14.88 inches, the lowest it's been since 1917's average of 14.99 inches. For the record, the hottest-ever year in Texas was in 1921, but seven cities in 2011 set or tied records for the hottest, including Austin, Brownsville, Childress, College Station, Houston, Midland and San Antonio...more

3 comments:

Tick said...

Unlike the poor puppy at the top of today's posts, I'm having a blessed day. 1.2" in the rain gauge so far with a forcast of more to come. A few more inches and the Skeeter will float again.

NE Texas Piney Woods

Frank DuBois said...

Did you pray for rain?

Tick said...

Yes,in my fashion. I wish I could claim it helped. I know there are many folks praying for it and not gettin' any. I can't explain that. Some folks probably think they can.

Fwiw I got another 7/10". Another couple tenths and the Skeeter will be out of the muck.

Politically I'm still praying.