Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Texas Blue Dogs

blue dog stuffed and mounted
My search for the blue dogs of Texas began in November 2004, when I visited a farm in Elmendorf, just south of San Antonio, where local rancher Devin McAnally had shot a hairless, blue-skinned canid in July that year (see FT199:48–49) (1). He took photographs of it to a local convenience store where one of the customers said that it looked just like “the chupacabra that her grandmother had told her about when she was a girl”. Thus was born the legend of the Texas chupacabra. I took one look at the bones of the unfortunate creature and was convinced that it was nothing of the sort. Meanwhile, the Elmendorf beast was discussed widely across the Internet and dismissed as a coyote with mange. Well, I was pretty sure that this couldn’t possibly be the answer either, and over the next six years I studied the matter from afar and hoped that I would eventually get back to Texas to investigate in person. In the spring of 2009 – thanks to the generosity of Richie and Naomi West – Corinna and I returned to Texas and became involved in the hunt for the blue dogs, as what started as a holiday became a full-scale investigation. Richie and Naomi had already visited Blanco, Texas, where another specimen was languishing in the deep freeze belonging to a local student taxidermist. He took a number of tissue samples, which were sent off for DNA analysis. The results have since come back from the Davis Labs, California: it was a coyote cross; although what it was crossed with proved impossible to isolate...more

5 comments:

Tick said...

I'm flabbergasted, simply flabbergasted. And I realize you're waiting for something profound from me, maybe even intelligent but like I said...I'm flabbergasted.

I'm sure I'll have more to say later but Art Bell isn't returning my calls.

Unknown said...

Wheir can I get two one thats male with blue eyes like that and one thats female that looks like that their the the kind of dog I wouldn't mind having

Unknown said...

209 622 7211 cell# house# 209 357 1053

Unknown said...

209 622 7211 cell# 209 357 1053 house#

Unknown said...

A hairless texas blue coidog hybrid