Monday, June 11, 2012

"HOME ALONE" by RL Posey

During the summer when I was 14 or 15, my parents had to go somewhere and left my brother, John, and me HOME ALONE.

If either John or I ever knew where they went or why, we have long ago forgotten it.

At one time I could remember how long they were gone, probably 3 or 4 days, but now I can no longer remember that.

I do remember that Mother cooked a big pan of biscuits and a pot of pinto beans for us, our main staples.

John and I had to milk the cows and take care of the milk. In addition, we had to take care of the pigs and chickens, cut and carry in the firewood for the cook stove, to heat the beans, and work in the fields.

I remember while we were hoeing the weeds from the cabbage or carrots in the field, the first day or so while the folks were gone, some boys from Mayhill came up and wanted to play.

John was ready to play with them, but I had to put a stop to that as we had the responsibility of getting the work done.

That was an experience that I have never forgotten and have often wondered in the years past, what would happen now if someone left two teen-aged children Home Alone.  The "Do Gooders" would probably file a child abandonment charges against the parents.

Even today young people that live on farms or ranches have responsibilities that most young peole in towns don't have and have learned to "Get The Job Done" without supervision.

That was my first experience that I can remember of being charged with a responsibility, and expected to get The Job done.

I learned a very valuable lesson from that experience, "When Charged With A Responsibility", accomplish the task to the best of your ability.

R L Posey
June 11, 2012

No comments: