Sunday, September 02, 2012

Middle school teen on house arrest for using knife as a bookmark

A Midland Middle School student is now approaching his tenth day of being on house after a hunting knife fell out of his book in class. Chandler Griggs, 13, admits to placing the knife inside his Georgia studies book the night before to flip from the glossary to vocabulary words. "I had to have some something, so I grabbed that," Griggs said. "I put it in the book, finished my homework real, real, late one night. I put it on my dresser and went to school not even realizing that it was in there." Chandler says he completed the homework after a long day of playing baseball with his travel team. Little did he know that mistake would lead to house arrest and an ankle bracelet. "They told me I had to go downtown," he said. "I had to get fingerprints, mug shot and I had the option to ride with my mom or dad." Chandler's mom Trae took him to the police department. By then Chandler's dad had arrived at Midland after receiving a text, saying, ‘his son had been suspended from school'. Trae Griggs said Chandler is a good student and doesn't deserve such drastic treatment. "They do a periodic check with the GPS to find out where he is and between 6 and 8 p.m., somebody comes by and he has to sign a paper saying he is here," said Trae...more

No comments: