Tuesday, October 09, 2012
Cross-border trade with Mexico worth $500 billion a year
• U.S. sales to Mexico are larger than all U.S. exports to China, India, Russia and Brazil, combined, as well as all combined sales to Great Britain, France, Belgium and the Netherlands.
• Mexico is the second-largest export market for the U.S. (Canada is first), and the U.S. is the largest global export market for Mexican exports. • Approximately 6 million U.S. jobs depend on trade with Mexico.
• Mexico’s $349 billion in 2011 exports to the world, on average, contained 37 percent U.S. inputs.
• For every dollar Mexico makes from exporting to the U.S., it will in turn spend 50 cents on U.S. products and services.
• Twenty-two U.S. states count Mexico as their No. 1 or No. 2 export market – states as close to the border as Arizona, California and Texas and as far away as from the border as New Hampshire, Michigan and Ohio. Western Farm Press