Sunday, December 08, 2013

Cowgirl Sass & Savvy


Don’t write it!

By Julie Carter 

The weenie dog wearing a tutu leisurely leaning back on a sofa pillow did it for me. Over-the-top Christmas greetings have gone, literally, to the dogs, cats, horses and even a parakeet.

I know it is the season and all that, but really! It is my belief that a Christmas letter is intended to catch the reader up on the year's highlights in the life of the sender.

Somehow that seems to have gotten to be such a chore that there are now tutorials on how to write a proper Christmas letter. These lessons come with tips, suggestions and the inference that bragging isn't actually acceptable.

We've all gotten at least one like this:

“Sara, 8, has the lead in our Adult Theater community play. Aaron, 10, was recently voted the most gifted and talented child in school and now that Emily is 2, she's started reading at a fourth grade level. Between ferrying the kids around to school, church, sports and other extracurricular activities, Beth gave birth to our fourth child in September. He's already beginning to crawl! Howard has been promoted to CEO of the World. We took family vacations last year to three different tropical paradises (see photos on page 3-6).”

There is no doubt in my mind that the budding Rhodes Scholars and Julliard graduates are in all honesty, just average kids leaving their underwear on the bathroom floor every time they shower, never flushing the toilet and whining when they have to unload the dishwasher.

Mentioning births, deaths, marriages and relocations are quite important, but not if that involves only the pets and not the people.

My favorites are the ones that provide a laugh while the writer laughs at himself:

Tom here! Wow, 2013 has shaped up to be one of those years for the Shoemaker family. So much has happened that it's hard to know where to begin. First, there was that business with the IRS; then the trial, wherein a co-worker's husband accused me of adultery, followed by my third arrest for DUI. And all that happened before June!”

Finding a way to bring interest to a "quiet" life isn't easy, but sharing the lackluster does nothing to quicken the holiday heart of the receiver. If your story leaves you flat, it won't look any better to the reader on the other end. Make no apologies, just don't write it. Perhaps Hallmark should "send your very best" this year.

Now don't get me wrong, and you will, but here it is. I love pets. You love your pets. However, you aren't required to love mine any more than I will love yours, most of whom I have never met.

Honestly folks, and I say this at the risk of not hearing from many of you ever again, that Chihuahua has no idea why you dressed him up in that Santa suit for a photo.

Keeping that in mind, if I ever start writing Christmas letters that are signed with the name of my pets, paw prints included, and in the body of the letter, I discuss their annual veterinary needs and issues, just shoot me.
If I talk about the highlight of my year’s work as being the installation of new ceiling fans and how good the new tin looks on the old trailer house, just shoot me.

There is a reason my Christmas letters are mostly family photos. Those, indeed, are worth a thousand words and none of them a lie. We really are hillbillies!

Julie, avoiding writing a Christmas letter again this year, can be reached for comment at jcarternm@gmail.com

I think Julie needs to vent more often.  This is classic: 

There is no doubt in my mind that the budding Rhodes Scholars and Julliard graduates are in all honesty, just average kids leaving their underwear on the bathroom floor every time they shower, never flushing the toilet and whining when they have to unload the dishwasher.

I don't believe anybody will be shooting Julie in the near future.


1 comment:

Tick said...

I'm sure there's an award out there someplace for Julie's column this week. It is right on, tells it like it is, hits the nail on the head. Remind me to send her a picture of my new saddle...