Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Planned student boycott of Obama school lunch act is being watched nationally

Monday morning, we told you about how a D.C. Everest High School student is organizing a school lunch boycott November 13th, as a protest to Michelle Obama’s Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act’s menu and calorie restrictions. Since WSAU brought you that story, it has been reported by several national and world media outlets. Organizer Meghan Hellrood says the reaction to the story surprised her, but says it has helped make her fellow students pay more attention to the school food issue.  “I think so. I think that more students are now aware of the whole issue, and are more excited now that it’s gotten so much attention, and they feel that, now that they’re definitely being watched, that this actually has an effect. They feel that there’s actually a purpose to it.” Once the national media heard about the planned boycott and the D.C. Everest district’s rationing of mayonnaise and barbeque sauce packets to keep lunch calories down, Meghan says her parents’ phones started ringing.  “My dad texted me during the day saying I needed to call him, and when I finally got around to the phone and called him, he said that it reached the Drudge Report, which I thought he was kidding about. I was like, very funny dad, but it turns out it actually did, and then it went to Fox, and then they got in contact with me.”...more

No comments: