Sunday, September 06, 2015

Baxter Black: T. Tommy and BAD NEWS


First, a little about T. Tommy; he likes Corrientes, carries a stock whip and is good help when you need a team ropin' partner, a good hand on a gather, isn't bad on a back hoe and is good to his dog.

I'm sure he has had many fine team roping horses. His arena is open to all and he always has some steers around to practice on.

He and I have many things in common, including that our 'build' is similar. To put it descriptively, we don't have a lot of meat on our bones. As we grow older we get stringier, looking more like a praying mantis or an old greyhound than the Michelin Tire man. We can still reach the stirrup but the saddle seat gets harder and harder to sit in, the older we get. We have no natural padding.

At the last branding we were comparing gripes and I showed him my solution to our problem. It involves leather string, a piece of wool fleece and one of man's greatest creations since rubber was invented, the coccyx cushion! Yes! It is designed to pad those who have broken their tailbone (which neither of us have.)

He climbed into my saddle and made a short circle. I could see the light in his eyes. A tear ran down his cheek, "It's so so...the relief I can it makes me I can sit tall in the saddle again!"

Well, Larry has known T. Tommy longer than I have and so is able to tell more stories about him than I can. Like the time he did a complete cartwheel from the back of his horse and lived to tell about it.


No comments: