Monday, April 11, 2016

Harry Reid trades insults with Cliven Bundy's wife in battle over standoff site

Nevada senator Harry Reid and the wife of jailed rancher Cliven Bundy traded insults this week as the Democratic politician announced he would be pushing to protect the land near the family’s property now that Bundy and his sons are behind bars. “I’ve tried to protect Gold Butte for a long time,” Reid said on Thursday, referring to the region north-east of Las Vegas where Bundy led an infamous standoff with the government in 2014 after years of refusing to pay federal cattle grazing fees. “And the reason we haven’t been able to do anything to this point is … the Bundy boys and his pals,” Reid continued. “Because of the fact that the Bundys are in jail, I’m going to reach out to the White House … We’ll see if President Obama will protect this area. He has the authority, as any president does, to stop this sort of destruction and stop it now.”  On Friday, Carol Bundy, Cliven’s wife, fired back in a Facebook video while critics of Reid alleged that he was plotting a “federal land grab” by the Bundy ranch. Reid’s previous legislative efforts to create a 350,000-acre national conservation area at Gold Butte have failed, and conservative critics throughout the west have accused him of attempting to steal land from families who have long ranched in the area. Carol responded to Reid in her video, saying: “What you’re doing to my family and to the state of Nevada is absolutely horrible, and I for one am very angry today.” She continued: “I am angry at Harry Reid for thinking that because my men are in jail, it’s OK to come now and take … the land that my family has farmed and ranched on for generations.” The Bundy matriarch further challenged the senator to visit the family: “I would like to invite you to come to our ranch. I would like you to come look me square in the eye and tell me that my family and I are domestic terrorists. I would love you to come to my ranch and show me where my family has done any abuse of any kind to this land that we love.” Reid, the Democratic Senate leader, has previously called Bundy supporters “domestic terrorists”...more

No comments: