Thursday, September 15, 2016

Myles remembers Reagan

 A lot of Americans do not remember Ronald Reagan. Well, I do. 

I remember coming out of the defeatist malaise of the 70's to a vision of once again being the "city on a hill." 

I remember coming out of what we thought would be a perpetual communist threat and witnessing the collapse of the Soviet Union. 

I remember digging out of what we thought would be a perpetual inflationary economy with its choking 20% prime rates. 

I remember a speech about "The Boys of Point Du Hoc" and many others. 

I remember optimism, confidence, hope (the real kind), and patriotism (the real kind); I remember the F-111s making a believer out of Qaddafi. 

I remember a President who earned and kept the respect of congress. 

I remember a President who walked into the hospital with a bullet in him. 

I remember believing this country is going to make it. 

I'm sorry for those who do not remember.

Myles Culbertson grew up in the ranching and cattle business in New Mexico.  In his varied career, he has been engaged in agriculture, banking, and international trade and is the former Executive Director of the New Mexico Livestock Board.

No comments: