Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Trump victory encourages Owyhee monument opponents

Some Eastern Oregon ranchers believe Donald Trump’s victory makes it less likely that President Barack Obama will declare a national monument in Malheur County during his last months in office. Ranchers in Malheur County formed the Owyhee Basin Stewardship Coalition earlier this year to fight a proposed 2.5-million-acre national monument, which would represent 40 percent of the county’s land base. The Owyhee Canyonlands monument is being pushed by the Oregon Natural Desert Association, an environmental group in Bend, and Portland’s Keen Footwear...Malheur County rancher and OBSC board member Elias Eiguren said the fact that many polls were so wrong about the presidential election gives him hope that there are a lot more people out there than anyone previously realized that support stances such as the one his group has taken. “I’m honestly more encouraged,” he said about Trump’s victory. “I think ... we have a lot more support than we even know. It’s just a matter of getting the word out there about what’s happening.” He said the thought has entered his mind that a nearing Trump presidency could cause monument supporters to increase the pressure because they see their window closing. “That thought certainly crossed my mind but the manner in which the (victory) happened gives me a lot of hope,” Eiguren said. “I don’t think the president is going to see this as a good thing to do. I think it would be distasteful for him to do it because of what the voters said.”...more

I wish I could agree, but I don't.

First, I don't think Obama gives a damn about any message sent by the voters.

Second, with R's controlling the WH, the Senate and the House, we may actually get some reasonable amendments to the Antiquities Act.  If that is the case, the President may never again have the unlimited authority to designate large swaths of land that he currently enjoys. So, the enviros will push hard to get as many designated in the remaining days of the Obama administration as they can, and Obama will oblige, wanting to add to his "legacy".

I hope I'm wrong.

No comments: