Tuesday, March 09, 2004

DIAMOND BAR CATTLE COMPANY

Catron County
Reserve, New Mexico 87830

Annette Chavez, District Ranger
Mimbres Ranger District
Gila National Forest
Mimbres, New Mexico

Dear Ms Chavez:

I have some very real concerns over the closure of Forest Road 150.

The public at large, the Laney's and now myself are beginning to believe the FS Law Enforcement Officers' only reason to be in the area is for the purpose of harassing the Laney's.

I was told by Steve Libby the Forest Service was concerned outside people would come into the area and cause problems. I can see where that would be a genuine public safety concern.

As the Sheriff of the county, I am requesting in writing any documentation insinuating any possible threats, hostile or adverse actions of any kind toward the Laney's, the Forest Service or any other citizen of Catron County. As the Sheriff, I have the right to know if anyone in my county is in danger.

I have people calling me and making references to Ruby Ridge and Waco. The reputation of the Forest Service in this area is at an all time low. You are doing nothing to make the people's opinion of your agency any better.

I believe you are trampling all over the rights of the people in this county to travel freely.

I would also like the name of the person in charge of the law enforcement in this matter. Unless that is also a secret!

Sincerely,

/s/

John Cliff Snyder, Sheriff

Note: I have typed this from a copy of the original....Frank

No comments: