Thursday, December 02, 2004

Transcript: Bush Selects Johanns for Agriculture Secretary

BUSH: Thank you all. Good morning.

I am pleased to announce my nomination of Governor Mike Johanns to be the secretary of agriculture.

JOHANNS: Thank you, Mr. President.

BUSH: Governor Johanns is an experienced public servant from America's agricultural heartland. As the son of Iowa dairy farmers he grew up close to the land. He will bring to this position a lifetime of involvement in agriculture and a long record of a faithful friend to America's farmers and ranchers.

He will lead an important agency with the executive skill he has learned as mayor and as a two-term governor of Nebraska.

I've known Mike for a number of years going back to my own service as a governor. I know firsthand his deep commitment to a strong farm economy. He's been a leader on drought relief in Nebraska and throughout the Midwest. He's a strong proponent of alternative energy sources, such as ethanol and biodiesel. He's traveled the world to promote American farm exports.

Governor Johanns is a man of action and of complete integrity. He knows how to bring people together to achieve results. He has been a superb leader for the people of Nebraska. And I'm grateful that he's agreed to take on this important new responsibility in my Cabinet....

No comments: