Monday, April 06, 2009

Riders rally against CPSIA; Six year old promises not to eat dirtbike

Six-year-old Chase Yentzer stood up on a chair before a crowd at Capitol Hill and promised not to eat his dirtbike. “My name is Chase Yentzer, and I’m 6 years old. I ride dirtbikes with my family. I race dirtbikes. Please give me my dirtbike back. I promise not to eat it,” said the Carlisle, Pa., youth, to thunderous applause. Yentzer was the youngest speaker at the April 1 rally urging the Consumer Product Safety Commission to exempt youth-model motorcycles and ATVs from the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act. Intended to stop the sale of toys containing lead, the CPSIA has also banned the sale of motorcycles and ATVs produced for children 12 years old and younger since Feb. 10. The rally at the Capitol included enthusiasts and powersports dealers, as well as authors, apparel makers and small business owners whose products are also caught under the CPSIA. The CPSA report also agreed with one argument made by the anti-CPSIA contingent, saying the elimination of youth ATV sales is likely to result in children riding adult ATVs and increasing their risk of injury and death. ..Motorcycle

No comments: