Monday, April 12, 2010

It's All Trew: Aging and exaggerating

One noticeable effect of aging is most of us tend to exaggerate a bit as we recall the old days. Here are a few examples I have heard lately. "When I was a young lad walking to a country school every day we had to face a cold north wind both in the morning and evening and it was uphill both directions." Think about this a moment. "I didn't know my Christian name until I was twelve years old. All anyone had ever said to me was, go get firewood." In my case it was coal or kerosene. "Between trapping skunks, filling kerosene lamps every day and wearing a bag of garlic around my neck to ward off colds, I didn't have many close friends when I was young." "The way to tell the rich folks from the poor was to study their clothes lines on wash day. Rich folks didn't have many patches and their drawers had elastic instead of draw-strings. Look at the sun through the seats of poor people's britches and the light just shines right through." A 94-year-old man was asked what he thought of the modern world today? He replied, "We are being educated out of common sense into ignorance, doctored to death and preached into Hell. Other than that we are getting along pretty well."...more

No comments: