Thursday, April 07, 2011

On my nightstand: "Heart of a Shepherd"

I have an interest in children's literature, so I've been reading a lot of middle-grade and young adult fiction. Latest is "Heart of a Shepherd," By Rosanne Parry (161 pages). In the book, 11-year-old Ignatius (nickname: "Brother") takes over a man's job running his family's Oregon ranch when his father's unit is shipped off to Iraq. But even while he works hard to prove he's up to the task, Brother realizes his heart isn't really in ranching, and he struggles to figure out his true calling. There's a lot I'm enjoying about this book. First of all, with paranormal and mythological storylines such a big trend in kids' books right now, it's just refreshing to read a story that's completely grounded in reality. There also seem to be a lot of kids' books with dark themes -- and bad parents -- so it's nice reading about a family that really loves each other striving to rise to the challenges they face. I interviewed a lot of local cowboys and ranchers for my work on the Paniolo Hall of Fame oral history project and my book "Rough Riders," and even though "Heart of a Shepherd" takes place in Oregon, the characters on the ranch feel really true to me, and I find myself relating to them. Faith and Christianity also plays a key role in the book, and even though I'm not religious, the role of the church to these characters' lives felt completely authentic and a natural part of the story...more

No comments: