Monday, February 11, 2013

Cowgirl Sass & Savvy



Tender offers of Valentine love

 by Julie Carter

Saddle up boys, here it comes again. Valentine’s Day is here. Just as they dusted off the shelves when they cleared the poinsettias out, the world was painted with red and pink hearts and accented with chocolate.

Some will attest to the theory that Valentine’s Day was invented as a clever ploy to stimulate the economy in an otherwise financially sluggish time of year. Greeting card companies, florists, jewelers and chocolate manufacturers who flourish because of the promotion would have to agree.

Valentine’s Day advertisements, even locally in a rural part of the world, promise evenings of lasting romance and adoration if you will just come dine with them for only $175 a couple. I don’t believe too many pickup trucks will be leaving the ranch for that offer.

There will be some “romantic” gestures made out on the range.  It may not be wine and roses but a cowboy on a Valentine’s Day date will offer his heart’s delight a romantic late night walk through the frosty pastures for a “just once more” check of the heifers. After all, it is calving season.

I know a gal who books her husband and herself into the dentist for a teeth cleaning every Valentine’s Day. “Nothing says ‘I love you’ like a plaque-less kiss,” she claims.

Although shrouded in mystery, history records a couple theories about this annual homage paid to the patron saint of the day, St. Valentine.

One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men that were his crop of potential soldiers.

Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages in secret for young lovers.  When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death.

According to another legend, Valentine actually sent the first “valentine” greeting himself. While in prison awaiting his execution, it is believed that Valentine fell in love with a young girl who may have been his jailor's daughter who visited him during his confinement. Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter, which he signed “From your Valentine,” an expression that is still in use today.

A veteran ranch wife who is still waiting for her cowboy to grow up, phoned me and the topic of Valentine’s Day came up. I ventured to ask if she had received a gift from her love of 35+ years.

“Well, he did ask if I wanted something,” she said. “But after my Christmas gift, I was afraid to let him think it was time for another gift.”

What did you get for Christmas?” I asked.

“He brought me a cat from the pound.”

“Did you ask for a cat or even want a cat?”

“No to both. This gift just fit his budget. It was free.”

I got a Valentine once. The card was in Spanish because that is all that was left at the store in small-town America. With it came a box of chocolates, his favorite kind, since, as he pointed out, I was serious in my sticking to a diet.

It is those tender moments of adoring love that make a gal think seriously about returning the sentimental thought with something equally as endearing as a well-timed “Well, kiss my …uh…corazón …. dear!” 

Julie can be reached for comment at jcarter@gmail.com.

Kiss My...Uh...Corazon

Hey, MMM, Baxter Black, Chuck Cusimano and all you song writers out there, this could turn into a hit.

And on your wait out my pretty little hon, 
Don't slam the door and kiss my corazon 

or

On your way out, please be so kind,
To cierre la puerta y beso mi behind

Who should sing it?  Well, from the male point of view I would pick The Texas Tornados or a similar group or artist.  And for the female point of view?

Write some more on the song and give us your recommendation for a recording artist.

I must admit I always hoped Julie Carter would write me a love song...and now she has.

 





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

PNM REC prices fall (as forecast)
http://adventuresofagreenhorn.blogspot.com/2013/01/pnm-rec-prices-fall-as-forecast.html