Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Ranch Radio Song Of The Day #1305

John Dilleshaw was a 6' 7", left-handed guitar player from Georgia who learned how to play while being home bound by a hunting accident.  He and his band recorded under the name Seven-foot Dilly and his Dill Pickles.  Sand Mountain Drag was recorded in 1930 and that's Harry Kiker on the fiddle. The Tune is on the Document Records CD John Dilleshaw 1929-1930.  For an excellent article on Dilleshaw see Charles Wolfe's The Legend of John Dilleshaw here (http://www.1001tunes.com/fiddlers/dilly1.html). 

http://youtu.be/PjkyXiq_D9A

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I believe the title s/b "Sand Mountain Rag."I recall hearing this song on an old portable wind-up Victorola that belonged to my mom.

Frank DuBois said...

Floyd, if you follow the link I provided, they also list the tune as Sand Mountain Drag.

Frank DuBois said...

Country Music Records, A Discography: 1921-1942 also has the title as Sand Mountain Drag, recorded on March 22, 1930 and released as Vocalion 5421.

Unknown said...

Frank, There is a possibility that I am wrong about this. It is highly probable that I am mistaken. Damn it, Frank, you are right about "Sand Mountain Drag.' My apologies

Frank DuBois said...

The important part is that you enjoyed it and it brought back some great memories.