Sunday, April 12, 2015

Baxter Black: Hello, my name is Mud

January 1980 is a month I’ll never forget. It all started out about January the 7th. The previous spring I had a big hand in selecting the bulls we were gonna use on Albert and Louie’s heifers. Albert had 400 head and we decided to artificially inseminate (A.I.) them one cycle, then use clean-up bulls. After much discussion with the local A.I. man I chose a Brangus bull; any easy calver, the book said. For Louie’s 125 heifers I bought him six brown swiss bulls.

That fateful morning I called Albert on the phone:

“Mornin’, Albert! How’s it going?”

“(silence)”

“Albert? Are you there?”

“Ten calved so far.... Three live calves... had to pull all ten...”

“Oh.”

“Maybe you better come out to the ranch.”

“Sure, sure, I’ll be right out.”

“Uh, maybe you better bring a bedroll.”

I called Louie before I left for Albert’s:

“Louie, how’s the calving going?”

“What are you doing for the next six weeks?”

“What do you mean?”

“Four have calved. We pulled ‘em all. One’s still alive. Oh, by the way, three of the heifers are down. On second thought, the way the boys are cussin’ you, you better wait a day or two...’till they’ve cooled off. You’d stand a better chance of leavin’ in one piece!”



No comments: