Sunday, August 02, 2015

Baxter Black: Cowboys tough out old age

I’m closin’ in on 60 with a vengeance, Mister Jim,
And I wouldn’t ask no favors if I weren’t out on a limb
But is seems like no one’s hirin’? Cowboyin’s all I know
And I worked for you a couple times, the last, not long ago.

It’s been 10 years? Oh, really? Well ... I run into Buster Cole
And he said you might be lookin’ so I gathered up my roll
And bummed a ride off Buster. That’s him a’waitin’ in the car.
I could go back to Brawley, but that seems so dadgum far!

Yeah, I know I quit ya last time but the winter froze me out.
My knees were always achin’. Think I had a touch of gout
But now I’m sound and solid as horseshoe, Mister Jim.
You’ve got the place fixed up real nice, all lookin’ neat and trim.

You painted the ol’ bunkhouse! Man, I really liked it there.
Do ya still have Peg and Molly? Now, they were quite a pair.
They could drag that big ol’ hay sled through the snow just like a plow!
Oh, she did? I’m really sorry. Guess ya feed with tractors now.


No comments: