Monday, November 22, 2004

Allen survives rugged challenge

All Guy Allen had to do on his final steer in the National Finals Steer Roping was make sure he tied his steer in a reasonable time to win the money title for the year. Instead, he finished with a time of 9.9 seconds to not only win the overall title, but the event as well. That's why he's the 18-time champion. Allen, who lives in Abilene, came into the final day of competition at the Amarillo National Center with a slight lead over former West Texas A&M rodeo standout Trevor Brazile in the overall money, but trailed Brazile and J.R. Olson of Sheridan, Wyo., by four seconds through seven go-rounds. "I knew if I could come out and rope three good steers, I'd have a shot to win," Allen said. "I was kind of in a hole on the average, so that was my game plan." The NFSR title is the only NFR title not awarded in Las Vegas....

No comments: