Sunday, July 29, 2007

GTT-Gone to Texas
Cowgirl Sass and Savvy

By Julie Carter


I have lived in two states that, by and large, give Texas and Texans a hard time. But I always have to admit, a good number of my best friends are Texans.

As I write this, I sit deep in the heart of Texas on the eve of my departure for home and New Mexico.

It has been a wonderful, if short, vacation to the land of green grass, swimming pools, pretty horses and people who have a flair for large-scale hospitality.

Texans are a very social culture. Anytime anyone runs over a possum, there is a party.

I tried to suggest photographing a road-kill armadillo today as we sped down the highway and my hostess assured me there would many other opportunities.

Now, I understand that a visit to Texas for most wouldn't include a tour of the area's indoor equestrian arenas, but I loved it.

The arenas ranged from the oldest still-standing and useable to a number of multi-million dollar complexes nicer than most state fairground facilities.

I liked driving down the web of Texas highways seeing endless bales of hay in every field and for miles in every direction.

Everywhere, I saw fat, slick cattle stocked nose-to-tail in belly-deep grass.

And of course, if you go to Texas, your tour guide will tell you it's mandatory to visit the world's largest honky tonk, Billy Bob's Texas.

With three acres of bars, dance floor and a bull riding arena inside plus 20 acres of parking, this place is big even by Texas standards.

A historical tour of the Fort Worth Stockyards and a few tales of how it "used to be in the old days" completed my Texas history lesson.

A walk through the new and very elegant Cowgirl Hall of Fame was also a must-see.

Lunch with the charming and witty editor of one of Texas' premier team roping magazines (that also happens to carry my column) was an eye-opener for me as to the magnitude of that particular cowboy sport in the state.

It is a huge industry nationally and headed for international popularity.

According to a survey, there are in the neighborhood of 25,000 active, competing team ropers in Texas alone.

The economical impact of that is staggering and it explains why a long list of towns, producers and suppliers of related equipment are wooing and catering to the sport.

Near Hamilton is the Circle T Arena with four acres under a roof. Amenities include a café, cantina, a stage for live music events, a saddlery and western store and a swimming pool.

It was suggested that a camera be placed in the arena so the ladies could sit by the pool and still watch their heroes rope via a monitor.

The reverse was also suggested indicating that some ropers might want to watch the poolside action while they waited to rope.

Privately owned, the comment is often repeated that someone started building an arena for his son and didn't know when to quit. It is Texas money well spent.

You know you are in Texas when you spend the day sightseeing and shopping and then return home to enjoy brie on crackers with a glass of wine while reading the latest issues of the Dally Times, Spin to Win and SuperLooper.

Poolside, of course.

I wonder what my mother will say when I tell her I'm moving to Texas to become a team roper?

Julie can be reached while shopping at the National Roper Supply store or visit her Web site at julie-carter.com.

No comments: