Friday, February 27, 2009

In Defense of Hamburgers

I feel I need to respond to an article I recently read: "Hamburgers are the Hummers of Food in Global Warming: Scientists." First, let me introduce myself. I am a fifth generation farmer and rancher in Pottawatomie County, Kansas, on the edge of the Flint Hills. My wife, father and children produce corn, soybeans, wheat, hay and yes, beef. We are a small family farm and we are in the process of launching a beef business where we sell locally raised beef to our friends and neighbors. Let me also preface this by saying I am also the Ag and Natural Resources Agent for Pottawatomie County. That is why some of the misinformation in the article bothered me. First, it is mis-representation to say that the livestock sector or even the entire ag sector is responsible for 18 percent of the total greenhouse emissions. Pierre Gerber, a livestock policy officer who co-authored the UN report, agreed that 18 percent was a generalization and not accurate in terms of ag producers in the United States. In April the U.S. EPA released a report called the "Inventory of U.S. Grennhouse Gas Emissions and Sinks: 1990-2006." In 2006 the EPA reported that U.S. agriculture (not just livestock) was responsible for only 6 percent of total U.S. greenhouse gas emissions. Even more important is the fact that when broken down even further, the livestock sector (not just beef) was only responsible for 2.58 percent of the total. This information was found in an article titled "Livestock's Shrinking (U.S.) Shadow."...FBlog

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is termites, volcanoes and other expulsion of gases by the six billion people on the planet. Leave the cows and sheep alone. Please.