Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Green Future of Great Tequila

Tequila has been made for hundreds of years in Mexico from fermented agave. When the makers of Artá Tequila asked me to try their sustainably produced tequila, I wasn’t sure I could say something new about tequila. But not every tequila is made the same, and this one is decidedly different. First and foremost, Artá is a great tequila. I knew I would probably like it, but this tequila knocked my socks off. I’m still looking for them. It goes down warm and smooth, like lying on a Mexican beach. I haven’t tried making an Artá margarita yet, but I’ve got to think this would just plain rock as well. Then comes the sustainability. Artá is not just a great tequila – it’s also one of a kind when it comes to how it’s made. Produced organically (certification pending) and sustainably, Artá respects the land in Mexico in which it is made in Arenal, Jalisco. It also respects the people as well, giving back to the people of Mexico in many ways and working with local craftsman in production. Artá has pledged to give 1% of their profits to charitable causes. The blue agave it is made from is grown by an 11th generation rancher, and distilled using methods unique to this family...more

No comments: