"Whatever the forces are that have supported the expansion of wilderness safe havens and contributed to the smuggling corridors that have decimated natural resources along the border, one thing has clearly emerged. The rules of engagement for national security are softened and dampened when the environmental agenda is present. Thus, Americans are left with no alternative but to believe that environmentalism trumps national security. "
- The corridors have wilderness/de facto wilderness safe havens.
- They have east /west highway access north and south of the corridors.
- They have rugged and complex north/south mountain and drainage orientation which provides channels of movement.
- They are almost entirely or heavily dominated by federal land agency management.
- The concentration of American private property rights at risk is limited as is the presence of resident American habitation.
- All corridors have high, strategically located points of observation.