Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Groups rally for multiple use

Cars, trucks, ATVs, dirt bikes and other motorized vehicles descended upon the Capitol Saturday afternoon as a part of a rally and ride organized primarily by the Citizens for Balanced Use and the Capital Trail Vehicle Association. Around 75 people, dozens clad in lime green “Ken Miller for Governor” shirts, showed up for the rally, which began at the Grub-Stake on Lincoln Road at 11 a.m. and concluded around 4 p.m. in the shadow of the Capitol. The reason for the rally, according to CBU board member Kerry White, is the denial of access for motorized and nonmotorized transportation into various wilderness areas around Montana. White cited major trail closures in many areas in Montana, including areas like the Kootenai and Flathead National forests, where the most mixed-use trails had been closed. He added that in a CBU survey, 50 percent of respondents reported they were against additional designated wilderness areas in Montana. The same survey reported that only 3 percent of Montanans use wilderness areas; the remaining 97 percent use multi-use areas...more

No comments: