Sunday, March 25, 2012

Baxter Black: Must society know origins of life's basics?

American, Canadian, European and, I assume, Australian citizens are becoming increasingly detached from the realities of life’s three essential necessities: food, fuel and shelter. Most 21st century urban children have no connection to the food on their plate, the gas in their car, the wood in their wall or the copper in their iPod. But my question is, “does it make a difference?” I’ve bought and worn out more tires than my share, but I have not given one iota of thought to what rubber looks like in the wild. Maybe they pick tires off trees. Do they have a life of their own? Is there a tire culture? Let me break down our challenge: Approximately 45 percent of our population doesn’t vote. I suggest an equal number don’t care where their food, fuel and shelter comes from. I would also posit another 10 percent of the urban population has enough scientific and biological knowledge to offer an informed opinion about modern food, fuel and shelter techniques...more

No comments: