Thursday, August 02, 2012

Hay prices skyrocket during drought - video

The hay shortage is so bad in Colorado prices are about $20 a bale, leaving many with horses and other barnyard animals struggling to feed them. “People who know my Creative Acres Rescue Ranch have been calling me to take their livestock,” said Maxine Mager. “But because I don’t have enough feed to take care of the animals I already have… I am having to tell them I can’t take in their animals.” Mager says ranchers in New Mexico are letting animals go because they can’t feed them, and because they are grazing on Federal Land she says the government is threatening to shoot them. In Colorado, at many feed stores on the eastern plains, like Agfinity in Brighton, they are only letting ranchers buy five bales of hay. “We can only get so much hay ourselves,” said Desmond Prince. “Since last year, many ranchers from Texas have been coming to Colorado to buy our hay, so between the drought and out-of-staters we are short.”...more

Video report:

No comments: