Sunday, April 21, 2013

Cowgirl Sass & Savvy



Rednecks R Us

by Julie Carter

The fame and following of the Duck Dynasty cult has taken “redneck” to a new level of respect in this country even after Jeff Foxworthy made it hilariously funny.

However, there remain those that are offended by the term “redneck.” I have been chastised for my use of it on more than one occasion and usually by some uninformed person who is then offended that I’m not offended.

Stay with me here.

I have never hidden my redneck lineage nor do I feel like it has to come accompanied by a chaw of tobacco in my cheek or missing front tooth.

My last critic informed me that in history rednecks were poor whites with a long history of being put down and slandered. He never mentioned duct tape, pickup trucks or coon hunting with hound dogs.

He called me a bigot and told me I was hurtful and hateful.  He had no ears for me when I tried to explain that he was very wrong about me and my understanding of rednecks. I tried to explain to him that my particular use of the word was a term of endearment.

Although rednecks will claim original roots in the pre-civil war south with a Confederate flag waving overhead, today they are everywhere. They have families, hold down jobs and make pretty decent neighbors. They are good people who have a strong sense of right and wrong and won’t change their ways just because someone said they should.

The redneck ends up the butt of many jokes but doesn’t care and in fact laughs the hardest. He is the first to help someone in need but the last to ask for help himself.

He wears many hats. He may be an executive in a suit. Yes, rednecks have crossed over to a white collar set. He could be a truck driver, bartender, farmer, cowboy, sailor, Green Beret, computer tech., teacher, waiter or airline pilot.

I use the “R” word on a regular basis with complete understanding of whom I speak. I take Martha Stewart’s advice for rednecks on a regular basis, although I don’t always agree.  Livestock is not always a bad choice for a wedding gift.

I know that “y’all” is singular and “all y’all” is plural.  I hear and use the term “fixin’ to” almost daily and I am among those that have been excused from school because the cows got out. I know exactly what calf fries are and eat them anyway. I agree that he should offer to bait your hook for you, at least on the first date.

You will never hear a redneck say, “I'll have the arugula and radicchio salad.  Would you like your fish poached or broiled?” Or “Honey, did you mail that donation to Greenpeace?”

I’m not at all surprised when I find a store that offers a combination of movie rentals, ammunition and bait. In fact, I look for that.

I actually do know someone who used a football schedule to select their wedding date.  Weddings are also frequently planned around various hunting seasons. I know of a church in Texas who has services on Monday because there are so many roping on Sunday that they can’t get their parishioners to attend.

Celebrate your redneck roots today. And don’t forget to jiggle the handle on the toilet before you leave the trailer house!

Julie can be reached for comment at jcarternm@gmail.com.


No comments: