Thursday, June 05, 2014

12 'agrihoods' aim to make farm-to-table living mainstream


All over the United States people are embracing local food production in an exciting new way. Called 'agrihoods,' this new type of neighborhood serves up farm-to-table living in a cooperative environment. Instead of being built around a pool or tennis court, these housing developments are centered around a farm, often using the sweat-equity of residents to create a sustainable food system for the entire community. Of course, community gardensurban agriculture, and cohousing communities are nothing new. But as the rapidly growing crop of agrihoods demonstrates, families are eager to reimagine these collaborative efforts in a new setting– often at the same or lower prices than a traditional suburban neighborhood.  Although the term is freshly minted, agrihoods are already popping up all over the United States. We've rounded up a dozen established or planned communities so you can learn more about how this trend encourages sharing, collaboration, and a healthier, more environmentally-friendly diet...more

As my disease progresses, its more and more likely I'll end up in some kind of assisted living facility (that is if Sweet Sharon doesn't kick me out sooner).  When that day comes, I'll insist it be an "agrihood" assisted living outfit.  That way the professional medical staff can stand back and watch as I herd the herbs, lasso the lettuce, corral the cabbage, bridle the broccoli, spur the spinach, wrangle the watermelons, castrate a cantalope and bulldog a brussel sprout, all while zig zaggin' thru the zuchini and never blowin' a stirrup on this poco bueno bred wheel chair.  My contribution, of course, to "sharing, collaboration, and a healthier, more environmentally-friendly diet."  Its a good thing I don't drink anymore or I'd tell you some other stuff I'd do.

Still, I'd bet my Yodellin' Yoga class would be a hit.


3 comments:

Bev Courtney said...

Yes, it is wonderful.And it was a tradition in America. Independence is having your on food supply. It is encouraged in Proverbs and all the Scripture says private property is freedom,providing for oneself and family on that property.When God sends the rain in its season, then we know he is pleased. Without the rain, well, there is no life. In my belief, pleasing God is the ultimate abundant life. May God be honored in America.May He water our land. That's my prayer.

Tick said...

Frank, as my MS progresses just behind yours I'll expect you to blaze the trail. When you get ready to homestead a place, go ahead and reserve a section of land (a room) next door. Together we can set the rules for the entire wing of the facility. Imagine two old cowboys who won't give up the old way. Gawd I pity the poor caregivers.

Tick said...

I wonder if I can figure out a way to hook a plow or tiller behind my scooter.