Sunday, September 27, 2015

I respond to some comments

On my post The Sage Grouse: Saved or Sold Out? Dave Skinner had this to say:

Wow, what a slanted hunk of drivel, but expected of takepart.com, which is anonymously registered since 2002.

About us:
As the digital division of Participant Media, the folks who brought you such acclaimed documentaries as Food, Inc., An Inconvenient Truth, and The Cove, TakePart is also a hub for the hundreds of thousands of highly active and loyal fans of these films.

 
Are you kidding me? No wonder it's all about Erik Molvar. 


First, thanks for the background on the source of the article.  I chose to use it for two reasons.  First, the title was catchy and I hoped it would attract readers to the blog.  Second, and most important, the quote, “The land management plan is getting heavy scrutiny from our legal team” backed up my prediction the most radical elements of the enviro movement would challenge this in court.

On my post FWS poised to keep sage grouse off endangered species list where I used the phrase "Crowing on Collaboration Crap" and referred to it as the "CCC show", Floyd Rathbun had this to say:

    Pretty clever. I was told the Three C's were from the Bruce Babbitt Range Reform effort and now I finally understand that the Three C's are an acronym for "crowing, collaboration, and crap" --- makes sense. 
    Webster’s dictionary defines collaboration as “To cooperate treasonably, as with an enemy occupying one’s country.” In Nevada we have a committee that wrote a federally approved state sage grouse plan that has no possibility of increasing the numbers of sage grouse. In fact increasing the numbers of birds is not listed as a goal, just increasing the amount of sage grouse biologist habitat. 
    Sage grouse in the Great Basin thrived in the mid-Twentieth Century with peak numbers occurring in 1950-1970 well after the establishment of ranches, roads, and travel by lots of people to mining camps. Sage grouse were hard to find prior to 1850 when the so-called ideal sage grouse habitat was completely undisturbed, entirely natural, and devoid of most wildlife.

I was introduced to the 3 C's as a result of the Public Rangelands Improvement Act of 1978. I played a part in the passage and implementation of that bill, and it contains the phrase "consultation, cooperation and coordination" when referring to allotment management plans.  I don't recall the phrase in the Rangeland Reform fiasco, but do remember the Cooperative Conservation Contracts during the George W. Bush administration. And just last week Secretary Jewell said the Endangered Species Act was a "critical catalyst for conservation." I prefer my two uses of the 3 C's to hers.

And on my post Can a Little Bird Defeat Big Oil? Today, the Government Decides I liked Doug Dennison's observation:

 Funny how these left-wing reporters always point out the contributions that legislators have received from "big oil" while they ignore the contributions that environmental groups have also made to the likes of Edward Markey, Martin Heinrich, Barbara Boxer and others.

I appreciate your comments on the blog and on facebook.

No comments: