Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Ammon Bundy, via attorney, tells refuge militants to go home

Ammon Bundy is calling on those who remain at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge to go home and "please stand down," his attorney said Wednesday on the steps of the federal courthouse in downtown Portland. The message came moments after Bundy and six others were arraigned, one by one, on the ninth floor of courthouse on Southwest Third Avenue. The whole process took about 90 minutes as more than 60 people arrived to watch the proceedings. Approximately 20 people couldn't fit.  Here's the full statement read by Mike Arnold, Bundy's attorney:

"First I want to address my beloved friend, [Robert] Levoy Finnicum. Levoy is one of the greatest men and greatest patriots I've ever seen. His love for this country ran deep through the blood he gave yesterday. And I mourn for him and I mourn for his family. I'm praying fervently for you in every prayer. We'll have more to say later, but right now I'm asking the federal government to allow the people at the refuge to go home without being prosecuted.
To those remaining at the refuge, I love you. Let us take this fight from here. Please stand down. Please stand down. Go home and hug your families. This fight is ours for now in the courts. Please go home.
Being in the system we're going to take this opportunity to answer the questions on article 1 section 8 clause 17 of the United States Constitution regarding the rights of statehood and the limits on federal property ownership. Thank you, and God bless America."...more

No comments: