Saturday, April 15, 2017

Invasive Plant Takes Over Local Ranch

By: Daija Barrett

San Angelo - TX - Hartgrove Ranch is filled with wild life and beautiful green grass -- but about a year ago Mck Hartgrove discovered something deadly living among it. "Nobody really knows how to kill it," says Mck Hartgrove. What's seen as small bushel of grass is actually an invasive plant that overruns native plants and eliminates habitat for animals -- it's called Mexican Needlegrass. "They looked great, when I first saw them, I went 'Okay, this is a new seed they gave me and this is going to be great for my wildlife'," says Hartgrove. Invasive plant species like this replace the plants that native animals depend on for food. "Cattle didn't eat it, sheep didn't eat it, goats didn't eat it. Then I noticed that deer weren't eating it, then it started spreading out into the pastures." "My problem is the only thing they're aware of that kills is it Roundup and when we use Roundup, what do we do, we kill everything."...more

See video report at the link above

No comments: