Saturday, November 23, 2019

Trevor Brazile captures seventh steer roping gold buckle ​

MULVANE, Kan. – More history was made by legendary cowboy Trevor Brazile on Saturday night. Brazile, the most-decorated cowboy in PRCA history, added another chapter to his story-book career. The Decatur, Texas, cowboy won his record 25th gold buckle by capturing the title at the 2019 Clem McSpadden National Finals Steer Roping at the Kansas Star Arena. Brazile finished with $128,552 in the PRCA | RAM World Standings to edge runner-up Vin Fisher Jr.’s $120,834. “We were in a battle, and I wanted to do whatever it took to win here,” said Brazile, 43. “All the gold buckles are special. This one was really cool because I was able to stay home because the steer roping schedule fit the new lifestyle I have chosen.” Just before the start of the 2018 Wrangler National Finals Rodeo, Brazile announced that season was going to be the final one for him rodeoing full time so he could spend more time with his family – wife, Shada; son, Treston, 11; and daughters, Style, 9, and Swayzi, 4. Brazile placed in six rounds at the NFSR and won the average with a time of 131.0 seconds on 10 head to collect his seventh steer roping gold buckle to go with the ones he won in 2006-07, 2011 and 2013-15. When Brazile roped his steer in 14.1 seconds in Round 10, it gave him the average win because he was the only competitor to tie down 10, and that in turn clinched his world championship. “I knew if I tied my steer down (in Round 10) I could win it,” said Brazile, who was the last roper out in Round 10. “It is a great scenario, but then again, it takes out trying to win something in the last round for money. It’s just one of those things where you just have to go do your job. I wasn’t scared of the barrier, that was probably the biggest difference in that scenario because I was going to be the only man to tie (10 down) even if I broke the barrier. I wanted to have an aggressive start.” Brazile has won a PRCA-record 25 gold buckles – a PRCA-record 14 in all-around (2002-04, 2006-15, 2018), three in tie-down roping (2007, 2009-10) and one in team roping (2010) to go with the NFSR buckles. Brazile’s seven steer roping gold buckles are second on the all-time list behind only ProRodeo Hall of Famer Guy Allen’s 18. “Guy Allen is the legend,” Brazile said. “Nobody ever dominated a single event like he has. He’s in no danger of me catching him. I just marveled watching him, and that’s good enough for me. If anybody deserves a record it is him.” Brazile earned $56,707 at the NFSR, including $27,347 for winning the average. Fisher was second in the average with a time of 114.1 seconds on nine head...MORE

No comments: