Monday, April 19, 2021

The Great Rooster Fight

 

 The Scribes

The Great Rooster Fight

View from the Top of the World

By Stephen L. Wilmeth

 

            If enough water passes under the bridge, the great divide is recognized by more than wrinkles.

            So, it was this week when I was looking at some poorer doing calves that our youngest granddaughter is tending. She has done a great job and her mama talks about hearing her opening the gate into her little set of corrals and banging the bucket on the feeder as she spreads the ration for her red coated patients as early as 5:30 in the morning. The calves have turned a big circle in the past two weeks.

            We are proud of her diligence.

            I was thinking about that and other things as I climbed the little rise to her pens on Thursday afternoon. I had brought her some hay and wanted to visit with her about her task. That’s when the fight started.

            Appearing out of cloud of dust (literally), the golden devil ran to the middle of the trail, rose up to his full rooster glory, and crowed at me.

            Don’t you pull that nonsense with me!

            My remarks went unheeded. In fact, he came at me and in the same motion I kicked dirt in his face and really got after him. That only invigorated him as he tried to get his spurs out front, and shadow boxed at me in midair.

            D*mn, you!

            He remained ruffled up, crowing and clucking like a banshee, and planted firmly in the middle of the path as I retreated to my pickup to get my shovel. That dadgum rooster wasn’t going to bluff me!

            But, there was no bluff.

            When I got within social distancing of him, he came at me with a vengeance, raising cane, and flashing those spurs. He was in midair when I connected with a left-handed swing on the back side of the shovel and knocked him sideways. He no more than hit the ground than he was coming back as I swung back in a right-handed counter sending feathers flying this time with a full edge hit.

            Back and forth, back and forth the battle raged as he had me backing off that slope in wide eyed disbelief.

            It was in that time frame I swung, missed him, and lost my balance. Over backward (a full gainer!), I went off that incline.

            KaBang!

            By golly, it rang my bell as I tried to get ready for his next move trying to get my shovel in a defensive position as I laid there flat on my back with my feet uphill. All I could think about was trying to keep him off my face with those spurs just a’flying like a bronc rider.

            He had prevailed, though. There I was, the great foe, sprawled out in the dirt trying to get some air in my lungs. He had won the round convincingly. Like a prize fighter he shook himself, looked again at his accomplishment, turned clucking to himself, and left.

            Dang, I hope nobody saw that …

            The Scribes

            The press has done a study on themselves.

            Their problem is there is no trust across the deep chasm of their work, and, obviously, someone must have told them it is an issue. As with all self-assessments, there was no real objectivity. The study wasn’t presented in any scientific form. The executive summary certainly would not have suggested any self-incrimination even it had been done. They did come up with what they are describing as core principles, though. There were five of them.

            The first was they believe the public expects them to watch over leaders and the powerful. Next, they are to elaborate on behalf of the voices that go silent. The third tenet is society works better with knowledge out in the open. Number four was the more facts people have the closer to the truth issues become. Lastly, it is their duty to spotlight community difficulties so they can be solved.

            Really, is that what you came up with?

            It is hard to refrain from cynicism. A first question asked would be why did it take a study to come up with those findings? Those should have been the first lessons learned in Scribedom 101. Moreover, those should be standards that are fundamental in the character of the individuals involved.

            Their grandmothers should have drilled every one of those points into their hearts and minds before they even thought of attending those bastions of the false science of institutional journalism. The honest points are much more simplistic and, in fact, more succinct. Their study could be compressed into three.

As practiced today, their body of work is of the press, by the press, and for the press regardless of words otherwise.

            View from the Top of the World

            Of course, that is a play on the words of Lincoln’s famous Gettysburg Address. The President had actually borrowed the gist of the wording from a Theodore Parker sermon given in 1858. Lincoln’s law partner, William H. Herndon, returning from Boston gave him a copy of the Parker address and witnessed Lincoln marking with a pencil the line reading Democracy is direct self-government, over all the people, by all the people, for all the people.

            Given the suggestion the press is, in effect, using the concept in their own actions, they would probably be aghast knowing they are being compared to the idea of being associated with a translation of the Bible. Parker, too, borrowed the phrasing. It came from the prologue of the translation John Wycliffe did back in 1384.

            The Bible is for the government of the People, by the People, and for the People.

            Having survived the Great Rooster Fight, I am strongly reminded that all of us can stand a little comeuppance and thoughtful reawakening. The operative words are … We, the People.

 

            Stephen L. Wilmeth is a rancher form southern New Mexico. “Where is that danged rooster anyway?”



Lincoln is also purported to have said:

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

Historians have concluded that Lincoln never said those words.

My research, however, has discovered exactly what Lincoln said:

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, and them's good enough odds for me.
 
~~Frank DuBois

1 comment:

Ellena Field said...

Great reading your post