Sunday, January 12, 2020
Baxter Black: Big Macs and Whoppers
No doubt most of you in the livestock business have a certain “family affection” for the fast food chains. Particularly those restaurants whose main attraction is the often disguised but still All American hamburger. It also is true that each of us has his own particular favorite.
Organizations like the National Restaurant Association have attempted surveys to compare the merits of each burger. Readers, you will be pleased to know that the Coyote Cowboy Co. (me) has conducted its own survey. This survey was taken with an international consultant on had to advise: A Canadian Chianina breeder.
The burgers compared were the Double Whopper (hereinafter referred to as the WHOP), the Big Mac (the MAC) and Wendy’s Double Burger (the BURG). Each was ordered on a rainy night with iced tea.
The highlights of the survey are as follows:
1. TRANSPARENCY – The BURG was the only patty you could see through.
2. YIELD PERCENTAGE (Meat/offal ratio) – The BURG again had the highest yield percentage.
3. PATTY PULL TEST (for tensile strength) – The WHOP showed the resistance to tearing.
4. CIRCUMFERENTIAL PERFECTION – The MAC displayed the roundest patty.
5. SEAWORTHINESS – Both the WHOP and the BURG sank in the iced tea while the MAC floated.